Monday, April 09, 2012

Black Sesame Pudding (Kuro Goma Purin)

IMG_9784cr
I absolutely adore Japanese desserts. They are light and not too sweet. A perfect way to end a meal without walking away feeling stuffed. Pudding, or purin as the Japanese call it, is a popular dessert in Japan. It is usually more firm than an American-style pudding, more like a custard’s consistency. The most common flavor is vanilla with caramel sauce and it's one of my favorites. I am lucky to live in a city that has many Japanese bakeries. About 6 months ago, I tasted my first Black Sesame Pudding and it was love at first bite.

Over the weekend, I was browsing on La Fuji Mama and saw that Rachael had created a recipe for Black Sesame Pudding (Kuro Goma Purin). It looked easy enough and I already had a jar of black sesame seeds in my pantry. Using black sesame seeds is much easier than finding black sesame paste for me. I ran to my local grocery store for a cup of heavy cream and whipped this dessert up in a jiffy. Super simple!

The taste? The toasted black sesame flavor paired with the creamy milk custard was perfect. I was a little worried that it wasn't going to set properly because working with gelatin is not always easy. But the texture came out exactly like I had it last time from a bakery. This recipe is a winner!

11 comments:

Minty said...

I LOVE black sesame desserts. Thanks for the link! I always have black seasme seeds on hand, and I actually have all the other ingredients at home right now...

Fuji Mama said...

You are such a sweetheart! I am so glad that you liked the pudding.

opportunityknits said...

Oh this looks so YUMMY! We have black sesame paste here, a Chinese dessert. And Japanese black sesame ice cream too!
Thanks for the link to La Fuji Mama, lots of goodies there!

LittleCanoe said...

Wow, that looks incredible! I love black sesame and I love love LOVE custard. Seems like a no brainer. I wish I had some in my spoon right now!

Susan said...

Yum! Looks good!

Karin said...

That sounds absolutely yummy. I can't have dairy, so I am wondering how to make this differently...hmmm...

hetty said...

That looks very tasty! I have never had black sesame seeds. But here in Toronto we can get any and all ethnic foods. I am going to try this. Thanks for the link to La Fuji Mama.

Yarny Days said...

I am so intrigued. It looks delish.

caiming said...

this looks so good, feeling inspired!

Asian Handmade Crafts said...

Quite inspiring collection...

anniegurumi said...

I absolutely love black sesame ANYTHING. Yum!